|2 servings||calories per servings 1010||protein serving 37 g||carbs per serving 86 g||total fat per serving 52 g|
Kick taco night up a notch! These crispy battered fish tacos are topped with a colorful slaw and spicy pickled tomatoes canned with love by our friends at Doux South in Atlanta. Dogfish, a sustainable choice from Sea-to-Table, is perfect for this preparation, as it’s mild enough to take on bold flavors and has a tender texture great for frying. The slaw itself - which is made with shredded kohlrabi rather than the typical cabbage - is bright and flavorful enough that we could eat it by the spoonful (and there’s plenty leftover for that, too!).
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||86 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|
MISE EN PLACE
• Trim and peel kohlrabi. Shred on a grater.
• Cut tomatoes into bite-size pieces.
• Discard pepper stem and seeds. Dice flesh.
• Halve lime. Juice 1 half, and cut remaining half into wedges.
• Chop green onion.
• Cut dogfish into 12 equal strips.
Pile kohlrabi on a kitchen towel. Gather towel around kohlrabi and squeeze out excess liquid.
In a bowl, toss together kohlrabi, peppers, green onion, mayonnaise, sugar, lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1/2-inch cooking oil.
• In a bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, egg, 2/3 cup water, paprika and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• Spread remaining 1/2 cup flour on a plate.
• Dredge fish in flour, shaking off excess.
• When oil is hot enough, a spoonful of batter should quickly puff and brown when added.
• Dredge each fish piece in batter, and transfer to skillet (do not overcrowd pan; if necessary, cook in batches). Cook without disturbing until browned on bottom, 1-2 minutes.
• Flip, and cook until bottom is browned, 1-2 minutes.
• Transfer fish to a paper towel-lined plate. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
WARM TORTILLAS AS DESIRED
• Heat tortillas in a dry skillet.
• Alternatively, wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel. Microwave 30 seconds, or until warm to the touch.
• Divide tortillas between 2 plates. Fill each with fish.
• Top tacos with slaw (or serve on the side). Garnish with Mean Green Tomatoes.
• Serve with lime wedges, and enjoy!
Nancie McDermott is a cookbook author and cooking teacher fascinated by the people, stories, and places behind the food. A NC native and graduate of UNC Chapel Hill, she loves exploring the history, culture, and distinctions within the regional cuisines of the American South. Nancie is a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, Les Dames d’Escoffier, Association of Food Journalists, and the Southern Foodways Alliance, and lives with her family in Chapel Hill NC.Learn More...