With all parts of this dish adapted from Richards’ Southern Fried executive chef and owner Todd Richards’ beautiful new cookbook, Soul, this meal is simple and so delicious. Meatballs are an easy way to please a crowd, and serving them on skewers is practical in that no has to find a utensil to enjoy them with a flavorful dipping sauce, which in this recipe is a mixture of Greek yogurt and sweet chutney handmade by artisans. The zucchini slaw gets a spicy kick from sambal oelek, a hot sauce made with a blend of chili peppers that’s traditionally used in Indonesian cuisine.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
• Heat grill to medium (400-450° F).
• In a large bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Stir in panko, and let rest.
• Soak skewers in water.
MISE EN PLACE
• Cut zucchini into 1/4-inch matchsticks.
• Zest and juice lemon.
• Pick and chop parsley and cilantro leaves.
• Peel and chop garlic.
• Discard pepper stem and seeds. Mince flesh.
In a bowl, combine yogurt, chutney and lemon juice.
In a bowl, toss together zucchini, sambal oelek, 1/2 packet sugar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1 teaspoon olive oil.
To panko mixture, mix in lamb, pepper, garlic, parsley, cilantro, spice blend, lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
• Shape lamb mixture into 6 equal meatballs.
• Insert 2 skewers into each meatball. Press meatball to flatten slightly into a disc.
• Brush meatballs with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
• Oil grill grates.
• Carefully add lamb skewers. Grill until lamb is well-browned on bottom, 4-5 minutes.
• Gently flip skewers. Grill until lamb is browned on other side, 4-5 minutes.
Note: If you don’t have a grill, you may broil or pan-sear meatballs.
• Divide meatballs between 2 plates.
• Serve with zucchini slaw. Drizzle with yogurt sauce, and enjoy!
Chef Todd Richards is an Atlanta chef known for his fried chicken. His restaurant, Richards' Southern Fried, opened the summer of 2016. Todd is also executive chef at White Oak Kitchen & Cocktails, and was formerly at the Ritz-Carlton Buckhead, The Shed in Glenwood Park, and The Pig & The Pearl at Atlantic Station. Chef Todd is self-taught and in 2013 was a James Beard Award Semi-Finalist for Best Chef: Southeast. He has also been a contestant on Iron Chef America. Todd's cooking elevates and promotes Southern cuisine and community.Learn More...