|2 servings||calories per servings 500||protein serving 15 g||carbs per serving 85 g||total fat per serving 21 g|
The flavors of summer in Provence make their way into this traditional French dish in the form of bold mélange of herbs that includes lavender, marjoram and thyme. A brilliant mixture of vibrant veggies - eggplant, summer squash, and sweet tomatoes - is cooked together with garlic and onion, and then spooned over farro. This plant-based dish is flavorful and satisfying, especially after a final sprinkle of fresh basil.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||85 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|
• Place a saucepan over high heat. Add farro, 2 1/2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• When water boils, reduce heat to medium-high. Boil until farro is tender, 15-20 minutes.
• Drain farro. Keep warm.
MISE EN PLACE
• Peel and chop onion.
• Dice eggplant.
• Dice squash.
• Discard pepper stems and seeds. Dice flesh.
• Peel and chop garlic.
• Halve tomatoes lengthwise.
• Pick and thinly slice basil leaves.
Place a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion. Cook, stirring, until onion begins to become tender, about 2 minutes.
• Add eggplant. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant browns in spots, 2-3 minutes.
• Add squash, peppers, garlic and herb blend. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are just tender, 2-3 minutes.
Fold in tomatoes, half of basil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cook until tomatoes are warmed through, about 1 minute.
• Divide farro and ratatouille between 2 bowls.
• Drizzle each with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Garnish with remaining basil, and enjoy!
Born in the USA, Sandra grew up in Latin America, where she learned about Latin American cuisine. In a career that spans more than two decades, food writer and instructor Sandra Gutierrez has taught thousands how to cook. Born in the United States, this bilingual, award-winning Latina author of four cookbooks is considered one of the top national experts on Latin American and Southern regional cuisines.Learn More...