|2 servings||calories per servings 740||protein serving 45 g||carbs per serving 70 g||total fat per serving 31 g|
Skate is a mild, creamy-white fish with a uniquely soft texture that can be compared to scallops. Lightly breaded with the help of buttermilk and seasoned flour, this fish sears to a golden color that’s just as inviting as the bright hues from the crisp red radishes and snap beans that accompany it. It’s all served over creamy rice grits made from the prized southern heirloom Carolina Gold Rice, and topped with a magnificent sprinkling of pecans toasted in brown butter.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||31 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||70 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
Fill a saucepan half full with about 6 cups water. Add 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and place over high heat. This is your bean cooking water.
MISE EN PLACE
• Trim beans; cut into 1-inch lengths.
• Quarter radish lengthwise. Thinly slice crosswise.
• Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice grits, 1 3/4 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• When water boils, cover pan, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until all liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
While grits cook:
• When bean water boils, add beans. Cook until beans are bright green and crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes.
• Drain beans, and return to pan.
While beans cook:
• Spread flour on a large plate.
• In a wide bowl, dredge skate in enough buttermilk to cover (save any remaining buttermilk for another use).
• Dredge skate in seasoned flour, turning to coat evenly.
• To beans, add pepper jelly and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Stir to melt jelly.
• Stir in radish. Cover, and keep warm over very low heat.
• Place a small sauté pan over medium heat. Add pecans. Cook, stirring, until pecans are fragrant, about 1 minute.
• Add butter. Cook, stirring, until butter browns and smells nutty, about 4 minutes.
• Transfer brown butter pecans to a bowl.
• Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon cooking oil. When oil is hot, add skate. Cook without disturbing until golden-brown on bottom, about 2 minutes
• Gently flip skate. Cook without disturbing until golden on other side, about 2 minutes.
• Divide rice grits between 2 plates. Top each with a skate fillet.
• Divide beans between plates.
• Top skate with brown butter pecans, and enjoy!
Nancie McDermott is a cookbook author and cooking teacher fascinated by the people, stories, and places behind the food. A NC native and graduate of UNC Chapel Hill, she loves exploring the history, culture, and distinctions within the regional cuisines of the American South. Nancie is a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, Les Dames d’Escoffier, Association of Food Journalists, and the Southern Foodways Alliance, and lives with her family in Chapel Hill NC.Learn More...