|2 servings||calories per servings 750||protein serving 17 g||carbs per serving 80 g||total fat per serving 41 g|
Typically composed with corned beef, swiss cheese, and creamy dressing, this classic American hot sandwich gets “vegan-ized” with this recipe, which calls for plant-based cheese and mayo, and mushrooms instead of meat. Sweet Georgia Red pepper relish, which is made by our friends at Doux South in Atlanta, gives the Russian dressing (which you whip up yourself!) a special flair; its sweetness compliments the tang of sauerkraut.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||41 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||80 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|
MISE EN PLACE
• Heat oven to 350° F.
• Thinly slice green onion.
• Discard mushroom stems. Cut caps into 1/2-inch slices.
• On a baking sheet, toss mushrooms with 1 tablespoon cooking oil, reuben spice blend and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• Arrange in a single layer. Bake in oven until tender, about 15 minutes.
While mushrooms bake:
• In a bowl combine mayonnaise, pepper relish, 1/2 packet sriracha and vinegar.
• Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with remaining sriracha and kosher salt.
• Place a skillet over medium-high heat (or preheat a panini press).
• Spread dressing on 2 slices of rye.
• Top each dressed slice with mushrooms, sauerkraut, cheese, green onion and remaining rye.
• Add 1 tablespoon cooking oil to skillet. When oil is hot, add sandwiches.
• Top with another skillet, and press down 30 seconds. Cook, with skillet on top, until bread is golden-brown on bottom, 1-2 minutes.
• Flip sandwiches. Replace skillet on top. Press on the skillet for 30 seconds.
• Cook, with skillet on top, until bread is golden and cheese has melted, 1-2 minutes.
• Transfer sandwiches to a cutting board.
• Halve sandwiches at an angle.
• Divide sandwiches between 2 plates. Enjoy!
Chef Zu is a Holistic Nutritionist, Urban Agriculturalist & Plant Based Chef who focuses on providing "Health & Wellness" to less fortunate communities through facilitating programs based around culinary arts, agriculture and nutrition.Learn More...