|2 servings||calories per servings 510||protein serving 19 g||carbs per serving 69 g||total fat per serving 20 g|
This superfood grain-bowl uses wild rice as a base, which isn’t technically rice at all, but rather grains harvested from aquatic grasses. It’s nutty and colorful, and makes a wonderful base for sautéed bok choy and radish. A little applewood smoked bacon goes a long way to make this dish extra-yummy before it’s speckled with benne seeds (also known as sesame seeds).
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||69 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
• Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add rice, bouillon cube, 2 teaspoons cooking oil and 1 3/4 cups water.
• When water boils, reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer 40 minutes.
• Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Rice should be slightly firm. Drain off any excess water.
MISE EN PLACE
• Peel and mince shallot.
• Halve bok choy lengthwise; rinse away any dirt. Thinly slice stems. Cut leaves into bite-size pieces.
• Halve and thinly slice radish.
• Pick and chop parsley leaves.
• Place a sauté pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon is browned and crispy, 4-5 minutes.
• Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a bowl. Leave fat in pan.
• Add shallot, bok choy stems and radishes. Cook, stirring, until tender, 2-3 minutes.
• Add bok choy leaves. Cook, stirring, until leaves have just wilted, about 2 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
• Fluff rice with a fork.
• Stir in benne seeds.
• Divide rice between 2 bowls.
• Top each with bok choy mixture.
• Garnish with parsley and bacon.
• Serve with tamari, and enjoy!
Named a Georgia Grown Executive Chef for 2017, Cynthia shares her passion for her home state and its bountiful produce and products with her audiences across many platforms. She and her husband, Cliff, who owns the Old New York Book Shop, regularly travel to Book Festivals and host book store owners as well as authors on a regular basis in their Atlanta home. They have a full bar always at the ready.Learn More...