|2 servings||calories per servings 870||protein serving 45 g||carbs per serving 100 g||total fat per serving 43 g|
As if perfectly-seared flank steak isn’t tantalizing enough, this recipe calls for marinating it in tamari, which makes it extra savory and a touch more tender. It’s served with mushrooms sauteed with delicate green onion and shallot, and a simple whole grain salad. The bouncy farro, an ancient grain derived from a specific variety of wheat, is tossed with dried berries, pecans, greens and a quick pomegranate dressing that’s a pleasantly sweet contrast to the deep umami flavors in the dish.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||43 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||100 g|
|Dietary Fiber||15 g|
• Place a saucepan over high heat. Add farro, 3 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• When water boils, reduce heat to medium-high. Cook at an active boil until farro is tender, 15-20 minutes.
• Drain farro. Return to pot off-heat, and cover until needed.
MISE EN PLACE
• Thinly slice green onion, keeping white and green parts separate.
• Pick and chop parsley leaves.
• Peel and mince shallot.
• Cut or tear salad greens into bite-size pieces.
• Discard mushroom stems; thinly slice caps.
• Halve steak with the grain.
In a bowl, combine steak, tamari and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Turn to coat.
• Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons cooking oil. When oil is hot, add steak. Cook undisturbed until well-browned on bottom, 2-3 minutes.
• Flip and cook until browned on bottom, 1-2 minutes.
• Roll on sides to brown evenly. (For medium to medium-well, cook an additional 4-6 minutes, turning.)
• Transfer steak to a plate to rest.
• Add 2 teaspoons cooking oil to pan. When oil is hot, add mushrooms in a single layer. Cook without disturbing until browned on bottom, 1-2 minutes.
• Stir in green onion whites, half of shallot and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are tender 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
• Slice steak against the grain into 1/4-inch thick slices, reserving all juices.
• Place mushroom skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak and juices and half of parsley. Cook, stirring, until hot, about 1 minute.
In a bowl, whisk together remaining shallot, mustard, 2 tablespoons olive oil, pomegranate juice and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• Uncover farro. Add dried berries, pecans, green onion greens and pomegranate dressing.
• In a large bowl, toss farro mixture with salad greens until greens are lightly wilted.
• Divide farro between 2 plates. Top with steak and mushrooms, and any pan juices.
• Garnish with remaining parsley, and enjoy!
Nancie McDermott is a cookbook author and cooking teacher fascinated by the people, stories, and places behind the food. A NC native and graduate of UNC Chapel Hill, she loves exploring the history, culture, and distinctions within the regional cuisines of the American South. Nancie is a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, Les Dames d’Escoffier, Association of Food Journalists, and the Southern Foodways Alliance, and lives with her family in Chapel Hill NC.Learn More...