|2 servings||calories per servings 600||protein serving 27 g||carbs per serving 73 g||total fat per serving 22 g|
Pan-fried catfish with a crispy, golden crust is a Southern favorite—this recipe pairs it with the zesty flavors of cilantro and lime for an exciting twist. Spicy tomatillo salsa and creamy celery salad each add their own unique freshness to the plate, which is complemented by a beautiful spread of long-grain rice turned golden with turmeric. If you’ve got a food processor, you can blend your salsa until smooth, but a rustic texture is equally delicious.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||73 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
MISE EN PLACE
• Under cold running water, remove and discard tomatillo husks. Chop tomatillos finely.
• Finely chop jalapeño (for a milder dish, remove seeds).
• Juice lime.
• Thinly slice green onion.
• Thinly slice celery at an angle.
• Pick and chop cilantro leaves.
• Place a small saucepan over high heat. Add rice, turmeric and 1 1/2 cups water.
• When water boils, stir rice. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and cook until all liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
• Remove from heat. Set aside, covered, until ready to serve.
In a bowl, combine tomatillos, jalapeño, half of green onion, half of lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Season fish on all sides with a total 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
• In a bowl, crack and beat egg.
• Add breadcrumbs to a plate.
• Dredge fish in egg, then coat in breadcrumbs.
In a bowl, combine celery, remaining lime juice, remaining green onion, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and mayonnaise. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with kosher salt and pepper.
• Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons cooking oil. When oil is hot, add fish. Cook without disturbing until golden on bottom, 3-4 minutes.
• Drizzle 1 1/2 teaspoons cooking oil over fish. Carefully flip fillets. Cook without disturbing until fish is opaque throughout and golden, 3-4 minutes.
• Divide fish and rice between 2 plates. Garnish with cilantro.
• Serve with celery salad and tomatillo salsa. Enjoy
Born in the USA, Sandra grew up in Latin America, where she learned about Latin American cuisine. In a career that spans more than two decades, food writer and instructor Sandra Gutierrez has taught thousands how to cook. Born in the United States, this bilingual, award-winning Latina author of four cookbooks is considered one of the top national experts on Latin American and Southern regional cuisines.Learn More...