|2 servings||calories per servings 590||protein serving 41 g||carbs per serving 69 g||total fat per serving 19 g|
Mojo (pronounce mo-ho) is a classic Cuban citrus marinade flavored with garlic and cumin. Although these sandwiches usually require pork that has been marinated and roasted for a long time, we take a quicker route with this recipe by making a quick glaze that saturates the pork in the same savory flavor. This meal is the perfect excuse to whip out your panini press, but if you don’t have one, no worries! You can achieve a similar effect by placing a heavy skillet on top of your sandwich to flatten it as it cooks to toasty perfection. Buen provecho, y’all!
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||69 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
• Place pork chops between sheets of plastic wrap. Use a heavy skillet (or meat mallet) to pound the chops until they're about 1/4 inch thick.
• Season chops with Cuban spice.
MISE EN PLACE
• Juice 1 orange. Peel and slice remaining orange.
• Juice lemons.
• Discard tough kale stems. Chop leaves.
• Split ciabatta rolls.
In a bowl, toss together kale, half of lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon cooking oil. When oil is hot, add pork chops. Cook until browned on bottom, 2-3 minutes.
• Flip and cook until cooked through, 2-3 minutes more. Transfer chops to a plate.
• Add orange juice and remaining lemon juice. Cook, scraping the bottom of the pan, until juices become a glaze, 2-3 minutes.
•Taste and adjust seasoning with kosher salt and pepper.
• Return pork chops (and any resting juices) to the skillet. Flip to coat with glaze.
• Remove from heat.
• Place a skillet over medium-high heat (or preheat a panini press).
• Spread the bottom half of each ciabatta roll with mustard. Top with a pork chop, half of cheese and pickles. Close the top of the bread over filling.
• Place the sandwiches in the hot skillet. Set a heavy skillet on the sandwich, and press down for 30 seconds.
• Cook, with skillet on top, until bread is crusty, 2-3 minutes.
• Flip sandwiches, and replace the skillet over the top. Press on the skillet for 30 seconds.
• Cook, with skillet on top, until bread is golden and cheese has melted, 1-2 minutes.
• Add orange slices to kale salad.
• Serve sandwiches with salad, and enjoy!
Born in the USA, Sandra grew up in Latin America, where she learned about Latin American cuisine. In a career that spans more than two decades, food writer and instructor Sandra Gutierrez has taught thousands how to cook. Born in the United States, this bilingual, award-winning Latina author of four cookbooks is considered one of the top national experts on Latin American and Southern regional cuisines.Learn More...