|2 servings||calories per servings 560||protein serving 35 g||carbs per serving 70 g||total fat per serving 16 g|
These tender pork chops are glazed with pepper jelly, handmade by 5iveOaks in Birmingham, AL, which brings some sweet and heat. A little sweet goes into the hearty winter greens, too, in the form of honey, which breaks through the leaves’ bitterness and enhances the tang of cider vinegar. All these flavors cozy up over a bed of mashed potatoes, completing this comforting, Southern-style dish.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||70 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
MISE EN PLACE
• Peel potato, and cut into 1-inch dice.
• Peel and mince garlic.
• Remove any tough greens stems and chop finely. Cut or tear leaves into bite-size pieces.
• Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon cooking oil. When oil is hot, add greens stems. Cook, stirring, until stems begin to soften, 2-3 minutes.
• Add garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in greens leaves, honey, half of vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 2 1/2 cups water.
When water boils, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook until greens are tender, 25-30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
While greens cook:
• Place a saucepan over high heat. Add potato, half of garlic, bouillon cube, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and enough water to cover. Cover pan.
• When water boils, reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until potatoes are fork-tender, 12-14 minutes.
• Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Drain potatoes.
Return potatoes to pan. Add butter, and mash well. Adjust consistency as desired with reserved cooking liquid. Season to taste with kosher salt and pepper.
• Season pork chops on all sides with a total 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• Place a skillet over medium-heat. Add 1 teaspoon cooking oil. When oil is hot, add pork chops. Cook without disturbing until browned on bottom, 4-5 minutes.
• Flip chops, and reduce heat to low. Cook without disturbing until golden on other side, 1-2 minutes.
• Stir in red pepper jelly and remaining vinegar. Cook 2 minutes, turning to coat chops.
• Divide chops, sauce and mashed potatoes between two plates.
• Serve braised greens in bowls with potlikker, or drain and serve on each plate. Enjoy!
Named a Georgia Grown Executive Chef for 2017, Cynthia shares her passion for her home state and its bountiful produce and products with her audiences across many platforms. She and her husband, Cliff, who owns the Old New York Book Shop, regularly travel to Book Festivals and host book store owners as well as authors on a regular basis in their Atlanta home. They have a full bar always at the ready.Learn More...