|2 servings||calories per servings 860||protein serving 54 g||carbs per serving 101 g||total fat per serving 29 g|
Cannelloni is a cousin of manicotti. Both are pasta cylinders filled with deliciousness, topped with a creamy sauce, and baked. The main difference? Cannelloni is made from sheets of fresh pasta (we get ours from our friends at Alfresco Pasta!) instead of pre-formed pasta “tubes”, like in manicotti. We give this Italian dish a Southern twist by filling it with seasonal staples: sweet potato and greens. Some of the sweet potato finds its way into the creamy sauce as well, which works together with warm cinnamon and nutmeg spices to tie the meal together in delicious richness.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||101 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
Heat oven to 375° F.
MISE EN PLACE
• Peel and grate sweet potato.
• Peel and chop garlic.
• Remove any tough greens stems. Coarsely chop leaves.
• Pick oregano leaves. Discard stems.
• In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 3/4 cup sweet potato, milk, 1 teaspoon garlic, 1 teaspoon spice blend and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to a simmer.
• Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until sweet potato is very tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
In a skillet over medium heat, warm 1 teaspoon cooking oil. Add chicken and remaining sweet potato. Cook, breaking up meat, until chicken is no longer pink, 4 minutes.
• Add remaining garlic, remaining spice blend and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
• Add greens. Stir to wilt and incorporate.
• Along the center of each pasta sheet, spoon one-sixth of chicken filling (about 1/3 cup). Roll to form cylinder.
• Transfer cannelloni to shallow baking dish, preferably just large enough to hold cannelloni snuggly in single layer.
• Sprinkle any remaining filling over top.
In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter. Sprinkle flour over butter, and whisk until smooth, 2 minutes. Do not let flour brown.
• Add warm milk mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 1 minute.
• Season to taste with kosher salt. Spoon sauce over cannelloni.
• Cover with foil. Bake for 15 minutes.
• Remove foil and sprinkle remaining Parmesan over top.
• Bake until golden brown on top, about 15 minutes more.
• Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with oregano, and enjoy!
"I’ve been a cook and writer my whole life. I wrote my first original recipe and mailed it to a TV show when I was four years old. I was lucky enough to have been raised by one of those legendary Southern grandmothers who cooked with great skill and no recipes. Even when my cooking veered drastically away from Southern for a few years, she was always open to what I prepared and would taste anything."Learn More...