|2 servings||calories per servings 740||protein serving 19 g||carbs per serving 37 g||total fat per serving 57 g|
Casseroles represent comfort food at its finest: little fuss, cozy smells filling the kitchen, and warm, ooey-gooey flavors to satisfy the soul. We take a staple from a Southern cabinet, stone-ground grits, and add cream, cheese and lots of love to the grits before pouring them over sausage, mushrooms and sweet pepper relish and popping it in the oven.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||57 g|
|Saturated Fat||29 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||37 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
Tip: Casserole maybe made a day before. Cook recipe through Step 9. Increase bake time day-of to about 1 hour.
• Place a saucepan over high heat. Add 5 1/4 cups water and cream.
• When liquid boils, whisk in grits.
• Remove from heat, and stir 1 minute.
• Let grits rest off heat for 10 minutes.
MISE EN PLACE
• Heat oven to 375° F.
• Peel and finely dice onion.
• Peel and finely chop garlic.
• Discard any tough mushroom stems. Thinly slice tender stems and caps.
• Return grits to medium-low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20-25 minutes.
• Fold in butter and Parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with kosher salt and black pepper.
While grits cook:
• Place a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add sausage. Cook, without disturbing until browned on bottom, 2-3 minutes.
• Cook, stirring and breaking up meat, until no pink is left.
• Transfer sausage to a bowl, leaving fat in pan.
Add onion and garlic to pan. Deglaze with a splash of water. Scrape up any browned bits. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to caramelize, about 8 minutes.
Add mushrooms and pepper relish. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release their liquid, 4-5 minutes.
• Add sausage and tomatoes.
• When mixture simmers, taste and adjust seasoning as desired with kosher salt and black pepper.
• In a bowl, whisk eggs until foamy.
• Slowly fold eggs into warm grits.
• Transfer sausage mixture to a deep 2-quart casserole dish.
• Pour grits evenly over the sausage mixture. Season with black pepper.
• Place casserole in oven. Reduce temperature to 350° F. Bake 50 minutes.
• Top casserole with cheddar cheese. Cook until cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
• Remove casserole from oven. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
After graduating from the University of North Carolina — to the delight of his loving family – Kevin parlayed his academic achievements into washing dishes. Professionally. After ten years of working in every possible position in the restaurant industry, Kevin launched Acme Food & Beverage Co. in Carrboro. Since that time, Acme has been featured in Bon Appetit, Southern Living, Garden & Gun, The New York Times, Esquire, and many other national and regional newspapers and magazines. Kevin is one of the nation’s leading advocates of sustainable food and local farms. His work maintains deep connections to the traditional foodways at the heart of the honest food of the American South. In 2016, Kevin was named by Lululemon as one of their 29 American artists and taste ‘makers,’ and in 2017 was chosen to be a Lululemon Ambassador. For the second year in a row, Kevin has been named the Executive Chef of the Wanderlust Festivals. This year will also mark the opening of his second restaurant. The father of two oh-so-awesome young women, Kevin lives in Carrboro, North Carolina.Learn More...