|2 servings||calories per servings 690||protein serving 41 g||carbs per serving 78 g||total fat per serving 23 g|
What’s the difference between country-fried steak and chicken-fried steak? Southern tradition calls for the chicken-fried version to be dredged in egg, breaded and fried, then served with a creamy white gravy, while country-fried is tossed in only a bit of flour before being lightly pan-fried and bathed in a thick brown sauce. Clearly, we’ve gone for country-fried, with savory-soft braised greens on the side and plenty of white rice to scoop up any extra gravy left on the plate.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||78 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
• Place a saucepan over high heat. Add rice, 1 1/2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon PeachDish Salt.
• When water boils, stir in greens. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and cook until all liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender, 15-20 minutes.
• Remove from heat. Set aside, covered, until ready to serve.
MISE EN PLACE
• Halve onion. Peel and finely chop 1 half (save remaining half for another use).
• Discard any tough greens stems. Cut or tear leaves into bite-size pieces.
• Pat steak dry.
• Season on all sides with a total 1/4 teaspoon PeachDish Salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
• Dust with 2 teaspoons flour.
• Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon cooking oil. When oil is hot, add steak. Cook without disturbing until deeply browned on bottom, about 3 minutes.
• Flip steak. Cook without disturbing until browned on other side, 2-3 minutes.
• Transfer steaks to a plate. Reserve skillet.
• Melt butter in steak skillet. Add onion. Cook, stirring and scraping, until onion is golden, about 3 minutes.
• Add ketchup. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
• Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle remaining 4 teaspoons flour over onion. Cook, stirring, until flour coats onion and smells nutty, about 2 minutes.
• Add bouillon cube, milk and liquid aminos. Cook, stirring, until gravy comes to a low boil and thickens, about 4 minutes.
• Stir in 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
• Return steaks to skillet. Turn to coat in gravy.
• Reduce heat to low. Cook until steaks are warmed through, 2-3 minutes.
• Divide rice and greens between 2 plates.
• Top with steak and gravy. Season to taste with PeachDish Salt and pepper. Enjoy!
"I’ve been a cook and writer my whole life. I wrote my first original recipe and mailed it to a TV show when I was four years old. I was lucky enough to have been raised by one of those legendary Southern grandmothers who cooked with great skill and no recipes. Even when my cooking veered drastically away from Southern for a few years, she was always open to what I prepared and would taste anything."Learn More...