|2 servings||calories per servings 470||protein serving 24 g||carbs per serving 66 g||total fat per serving 12 g|
This hearty version of classic Japanese miso soup features soy in three forms: miso paste (fermented soybeans with grain malt), tofu (creamy curd) and edamame (whole, young green beans). Two other soy ingredients - albeit further removed from the whole food - are tamari and liquid aminos. Each form has a unique taste and texture, and alongside brown rice noodles and fresh shiitake mushrooms, each adds a layer of interest to this complex, yet very comforting, soup.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||12 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||66 g|
|Dietary Fiber||11 g|
MISE EN PLACE
• Slice green onion, keeping white and green parts separate.
• Peel and slice garlic.
• Slice ginger (no need to peel).
• Remove mushroom stems and reserve; thinly slice caps.
• Cut tofu into 1/2-inch dice.
Place a large saucepot over medium heat. Add sesame oil. When oil is hot, add onion whites, garlic, ginger and mushroom stems. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
• Add 5 cups water and kombu. Increase heat to high.
• When liquid simmers, remove from heat. Let steep 5-6 minutes.
Strain broth into a bowl. Discard aromatics.
• Return broth to saucepot.
• Add edamame, miso and liquid aminos. Place over high heat.
• When water boils, add noodles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until noodles are just tender, about 4 minutes.
• Add sliced mushroom, tofu and onion greens.
• When soup simmers, remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with tamari.
Divide soup between 2 bowls. Enjoy!
With a degree in Journalism from the University of South Carolina, Robert Lupo has worked in restaurant kitchens from his hometown of Columbia, SC, to Atlanta, GA, including Motor Supply Company, The Globe in Tech Square, Eclipse di Sol, Aria, Brick Store Pub, and Leon’s Full Service. In 2012, he founded the vegetarian Sherrywood Supper Club in Atlanta, where he lives with his wife. Lupo currently works for the Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School, on the Nutrition staff.Learn More...