|2 servings||calories per servings 590||protein serving 11 g||carbs per serving 85 g||total fat per serving 26 g|
This hearty grain bowl is sassy and satisfying. Wheat berries are hulled wheat kernels; they have a nutty flavor and slightly chewy texture similar to barley or farro. Combined with sweet roasted butternut squash and a tangy, Caribbean-style dressing, they provide the base for a warm, soulful salad. To top it all off, roasted pumpkin seeds add a welcome bit of salty crunch.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||85 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
MISE EN PLACE
• Heat oven to 400° F.
• Peel and finely chop onion.
• Peel and halve squash, discarding seeds and fiber. Cut 2 cups flesh into 1/2-inch dice (save any remaining squash for another use).
• Pick and chop cilantro leaves from 4 sprigs. Leave remaining sprigs whole for garnish.
• Zest and juice lime. Measure 1/2 teaspoon zest and 1 tablespoon juice (save any remaining lime for another use).
• Peel and mince 1 tablespoon shallot (save any remaining for another use).
• Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add pumpkin seeds in a single layer. Toast, stirring, until seeds begin to pop and brown, 2-3 minutes.
• Transfer to a bowl.
Add wheat berries to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until wheat begins to smell toasty, 4-5 minutes.
• Add onion, 3 cups water and bouillon cube.
• When water boils, reduce heat. Simmer until liquid is absorbed and wheat berries are tender but not mushy, 30-35 minutes.
While wheat berries cook:
• On baking sheet, toss squash with 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Spread in a single layer.
• Roast in oven until tender and browned on the edges, 25-30 minutes.
• Transfer squash to a plate.
While squash roasts:
• In a bowl, whisk together shallot, lime juice, honey, chopped cilantro, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt.
• Whisk in 2 tablespoons olive oil. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with kosher salt and pepper.
• To wheat berries, fold in squash, pumpkin seeds and lime zest.
• Fold in vinaigrette. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with kosher salt and pepper.
• Divide between 2 bowl.
• Garnish with cilantro sprigs, and enjoy!
Chadwick Boyd is a food and lifestyle expert and TV host who has one mission…to change the world for good through food and words for millions of people. He has been in the consumer food and storytelling world for 24 years.Learn More...