|2 servings||calories per servings 520||protein serving 18 g||carbs per serving 66 g||total fat per serving 24 g|
Echoing the flavors of a classic BLT sandwich, hearty whole wheat pasta is tossed with tomatoes, greens, and sauteed mushrooms, which are spiked with bold smoky flavor to stand in as the “bacon” part of this plant-based dish. It’s garnished with sliced avocado for extra richness and a sprinkling of pecan ‘cheese,’ which gets its savory Parmesan-like flavor from nutritional yeast.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||4 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||66 g|
|Dietary Fiber||19 g|
Fill a saucepan half full with about 6 cups water. Stir in 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and place over high heat. This is your pasta cooking water.
MISE EN PLACE
• Discard mushroom stems. Thinly slice caps.
• Halve tomatoes lengthwise.
• Finely chop green onion, keeping white and green parts separate.
• Peel and chop garlic.
• Pick and chop parsley.
• Discard any tough greens stems.
• When water boils, add pasta. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender but not mushy, 7-8 minutes.
• Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
• Drain pasta. Return to pot.
While pasta cooks:
• Place a skillet over medium-high heat, Add 2 teaspoons cooking oil. When oil is hot, add onion whites and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
• Add mushrooms in a single layer. Cook without disturbing until lightly browned on bottom, 1-2 minutes.
• Cook, tossing often, until mushrooms are tender and shiny, about 1 minute.
Add 2 tablespoons water, liquid aminos, paprika and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are coated in seasoning, about 1 minute.
Add tomato. Toss well.
• Halve avocado. Discard pit, and scoop out flesh.
• Cut flesh into chunks or slices.
• To pasta, add spicy greens, tomato-mushroom mixture, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to wilt greens.
• Stir in onion greens, half of parsley and about 1/4 cup reserved cooking liquid.
• Adjust consistency as desired with remaining cooking liquid.
• Divide pasta between 2 bowls or plate.
• Top with avocado.
• Garnish with vegan pecan ‘cheese’ and remaining parsley. Enjoy!
Nancie McDermott is a cookbook author and cooking teacher fascinated by the people, stories, and places behind the food. A NC native and graduate of UNC Chapel Hill, she loves exploring the history, culture, and distinctions within the regional cuisines of the American South. Nancie is a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, Les Dames d’Escoffier, Association of Food Journalists, and the Southern Foodways Alliance, and lives with her family in Chapel Hill NC.Learn More...