|2 servings||calories per servings 890||protein serving 35 g||carbs per serving 73 g||total fat per serving 52 g|
This recipe takes melty cheese to another level, where golden, crispy tortillas hold a rich filling of garlicky mushrooms, sautéed peppers and onions, and not one - but two - kinds of cheese: ooey gooey mozzarella and tangy Cotija. Flipping the quesadillas in the skillet as they cook will prevent them from burning before the cheese has a chance to melt – simply use tongs to shift the quesadilla. A refreshing tomato and field pea salad adds zing and zest to the whole affair; any left over is even better the next day.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||17 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||73 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
• Fill a small saucepan half full with about 4 cups water. Add field peas, and place over medium-high heat.
• When water boils, reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Skim away any foam that comes to the top.
MISE EN PLACE
• Finely chop green onion, keeping white and green parts separate.
• Peel and chop garlic.
• Discard tough mushroom stems. Thinly slice caps.
• Discard pepper stems and seeds. Thinly slice flesh.
• Zest lime. Juice 1 half (save remaining half for another use).
• Halve tomatoes lengthwise.
• Pick and chop cilantro leaves.
• Place a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil. When oil is hot, add onion whites and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
• Add mushrooms in a single layer. Cook without disturbing until lightly browned on bottom, 1-2 minutes.
• Add peppers. Cook, tossing often, until peppers are tender and shiny, about 1 minute.
• Stir in Latin spice, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 2 tablespoons water. Cook, stirring, until mushrooms are coated in seasoning, about 1 minute.
• Remove pan from heat. Fold in half of onion greens.
• Drain field peas. Transfer to a large bowl.
• Stir in tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, lime juice, remaining onion greens, cilantro, lime zest and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with kosher salt and black pepper.
• Place a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon cooking oil. Add 1 tortilla. Cook until warmed through, about 1 minute.
• Flip tortilla. Top with half of mushroom mixture and half of cheeses.
• Cover with another tortilla. Cook without disturbing until golden-brown on bottom, 1-2 minutes.
• Flip quesadilla. Cook without disturbing until browned on other side and cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes.
• Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm.
• Repeat with 1 teaspoon cooking oil and remaining tortillas, filling and cheeses.
• Slice quesadillas as desired.
• Divide between 2 plates.
• Serve with field pea & tomato salad, and enjoy!
Nancie McDermott is a cookbook author and cooking teacher fascinated by the people, stories, and places behind the food. A NC native and graduate of UNC Chapel Hill, she loves exploring the history, culture, and distinctions within the regional cuisines of the American South. Nancie is a member of the International Association of Culinary Professionals, Les Dames d’Escoffier, Association of Food Journalists, and the Southern Foodways Alliance, and lives with her family in Chapel Hill NC.Learn More...