|2 servings||calories per servings 460||protein serving 18 g||carbs per serving 62 g||total fat per serving 17 g|
After we’ve had our fun carving jagged toothy smiles into the season’s most iconic hardy squash, it’s nice to sit down to a steamy, spicy bowl of comforting stew. Chili means different things to different people - some folks will tell you that if it has beans, it’s not chili; others say it can’t be a chili with tomato involved. We say that a good chili begins with a good-quality, hot-chili flavor. Seasoned with an incredible Chilean spice blend called merkén, our vegetarian version is hearty as ever with a base of mirepoix followed by roasted red peppers, fresh pumpkin and a three-bean blend.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||62 g|
|Dietary Fiber||19 g|
Please read entire recipe before beginning.
• Heat oven to 375° F.
• Cut a very small slice off the bottom of each pumpkin so it sits upright.
• From the stem end, cut a “lid” about 1/4 of the way from the top of each pumpkin.
• Use a spoon to pull out the just the seeds and their coating.
• Use the spoon to scrape out about 1/2 cup pumpkin flesh from the rim and inner bowl of the pumpkin; reserve.
Tip: Seeds can be cleaned, dried and roasted for a tasty snack!
• Rub 1 tablespoon olive oil inside pumpkin bowl and lid. Season with a total 1/2 teaspoon PeachDish Salt.
• Place on a baking sheet cut-side down. Roast in oven until flesh on lids is tender, 20-25 minutes.
• Transfer lids to a plate. Roast bowls in oven until tender, 10-15 minutes.
MISE EN PLACE
• Peel and dice onion.
• Peel and mince garlic.
• Chop green onion, keeping whites and greens separate.
• Dice carrot.
• Dice celery.
• Dice red pepper.
• Roughly chop reserved 1/2 cup pumpkin.
• Rinse and drain beans.
• Place a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon cooking oil. When oil is hot, add onion, garlic and onion whites. Cook, stirring, until onion begins to become translucent, 1-2 minutes.
• Add carrots and celery. Cook, stirring, until carrot begins to become tender, 4-5 minutes.
• Stir in pumpkin, beans, red pepper, merkén seasoning (using the full amount will yield a somewhat spicy dish; use less if you prefer), nutritional yeast and 1 3/4 cups water. Increase heat to high.
• When mixture simmmers, reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chili thickens, 10-15 minutes.
• Taste and adjust seasoning as desired with PeachDish Salt.
• Spoon chili into roasted pumpkins.
• Garnish with sour cream and onion greens.
• Top with the lids, and enjoy!
Seth worked with top chefs in New York and in Atlanta, and worked as the Program Director for a farm to school pilot program aimed at developing standards-based, hands-on garden and cooking curriculum for children from kindergarten to fifth grade. Seth also spent several years working as a farmers market chef in Atlanta. During this time, he established and developed connections between the market and local schools, after-school clubs, senior living facilities, and other community organizations. At these community connection posts, he shared his culinary knowledge and expertise, giving hands on cooking instruction as he explained how farmers markets can benefit an individual's health and community. In 2016, Chef Seth was named a Georgia Grown Executive Chef for his commitment to locally grown food.Learn More...