|2 servings||calories per servings 379||protein serving 17 g||carbs per serving 42 g||total fat per serving 17 g|
When you stop by your local farmers market during the summer months, you’ll likely see a flood of summer squash and zucchini on the tables, firm, sweet and colorful at the peak of their growing season. What better way to toast to the abundance than actual toast? To clarify, “tartine” is French for an open-faced sandwich, and a few slices of toasted sourdough from H&F Bakery make an excellent vehicle for roasted zucchini, whose nutty-sweet flavor is heightened by creamy ricotta, sunflower seeds and summer herbs.
|Nutrition Facts||/ Per Serving|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrates||42 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
MISE EN PLACE
• Position 1 oven rack about 6 inches below the broiler. Heat oven to 450° F.
• Discard zucchini stems. Halve lengthwise.
• Peel, halve and thinly slice shallot.
• Pick and roughly chop thyme, marjoram and parsley leaves.
• Pick and thinly slice basil leaves.
• Place zucchini cut-side down on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Roast in oven 10 minutes.
• Carefully flip zucchini. Scatter shallot on pan. Roast in oven until squash is tender, 5-6 minutes.
• Transfer zucchini to a cutting board. Scrape shallots into a large bowl. (Reserve baking sheet.)
• Heat oven to broil.
• Arrange bread on reserved baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
• Broil until tops are lightly browned, 1-2 minutes.
• Flip bread. Broil until lightly browned on other side, about 1 minute.
• Cut zucchini into 1-inch slices. Add to shallot.
• Toss with thyme, marjoram, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
• Spread ricotta on toast.
• Sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
• Top with zucchini mixture. Garnish with basil.
• Season to taste with kosher salt, and enjoy!
With a degree in Journalism from the University of South Carolina, Robert Lupo has worked in restaurant kitchens from his hometown of Columbia, SC, to Atlanta, GA, including Motor Supply Company, The Globe in Tech Square, Eclipse di Sol, Aria, Brick Store Pub, and Leon’s Full Service. In 2012, he founded the vegetarian Sherrywood Supper Club in Atlanta, where he lives with his wife. Lupo currently works for the Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School, on the Nutrition staff.Learn More...