Mixed Mushroom and Leek Risotto w/ Parmesan and Thyme
This dish was made for mushroom lovers! The rich, earthy flavors of a variety of types of mushrooms star in this creamy risotto. The sharpness of the parmesan highlights the sweetness of the onions and leeks.
½ ounce dried porcini mushrooms & shiitake mushrooms
1 each garlic clove, cut in half
2 sprigs fresh thyme
3 each leeks, white and light green bottoms only (4 ounces)
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
1 each small shallot, roughly chopped
¾ cup Arborio rice
8 ounces mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
4 Teaspoons butter
1 ounce parmesan cheese, shaved and divided
1. Please take the time to read through the entire recipe card before beginning.
2. In a medium sauce pot combine dried porcini mushrooms, dried thyme, garlic and 3 cups water, bring to a boil and take off heat. Add sprigs of thyme to broth.
3. Slice the leeks into ½ inch pieces, place in a small bowl and submerge in water. Agitate the leeks to remove the dirt from the layers, drain liquid off and discard liquid.
4. Heat a large saucepot over medium-low heat and add the oil. Add shallot to the pot and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and the rice. Cook over medium-low heat for 2 more minutes or until lightly toasted. Add the mushrooms and leeks and cook for 2 more minutes.
5. Strain the broth, reserve the broth and discard the solids. Add ½ cup of broth to rice/vegetable mixture. With a wooden spoon stir rice slowly and thoroughly so it begins to absorb the liquid. Once most of the liquid is absorbed add another ½ cup of broth. Repeat this process 4 more times until all the broth is gone and the rice is plump and tender. Remove from heat. Add half of parmesan, butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
6. Spoon risotto onto the center of each plate and top with remaining cheese.