If you’ve never been able to master the great Southern art of braising greens, we’re here to help. These collards have a rich umami taste from the Bragg’s amino acids and delicious depth from a blend of salt, cider vinegar, and sorghum syrup.
1. Please take the time to read the whole recipe card before beginning.
2. Remove stem from greens and tear into pieces about 2” around.
3. Wash greens in a deep vessel of water, handling gently so as not to bruise them. Greens should float on the top of the water, so that dirt released by swirling through the water will sink to the bottom.
4. Place a deep pan over low/medium heat, add butter.
5. Once butter has melted add garlic, and onions, cook slightly, do not brown.
6. Add greens, and about 2 1/2 cups of water. Bring the water to a bubble, then turn down to a LOW simmer, and cover.
7. Season salt, sorghum, and vinegar once greens have wilted.
8. Cook till tender (30min to 2 hours depending on age/heartiness of greens), taste, and adjust seasoning if desired.
9. Serve and enjoy!
Yield: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30-60+ minutes (depending on toughness of greens)