Ingredients: 1 cucumber, 1 small onion, 4 oz vinegar, 2 Tbsp granulated sugar, 2/3 cup jasmine rice, 2 cloves garlic, 8-10 brussels sprouts, 8-10 mushrooms, 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper, 2 tilapia filets, 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Slice cucumber and onion as thinly as possible. Set half of onion aside for skillet and put other half in salad bowl. Place cucumber slices between a few layers of paper towels, ideally with something slightly hefty on top, to soak out some of the liquid; set aside.
3. In a small, microwave-safe bowl (or small saucepan, if no microwave is available), combine vinegar, sugar, pinch of salt and 1 Tbsp water. Microwave on high for 30 seconds or warm on stove. Stir to dissolve salt and sugar. Pour over onion slices in salad bowl and place in refrigerator to chill.
4. Prepare jasmine rice. In a small pot, combine 2/3 c jasmine rice, 1 1/3 c water, 1/2 tsp salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 18-20 min until liquid is fully absorbed.
5. Prep veggies: Peel and mince garlic cloves, and slice Brussels sprouts and mushrooms in half. (Clean mushrooms first if needed, and remove any funny-looking outer leaves from the sprouts.)
6. Heat a generous tablespoon of oil in oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat. Add reserved onion slices and garlic and saute for a minute, until onions begin to soften and garlic becomes fragrant. Push onion/garlic mixture to edges of pan and add Brussels sprouts, cut-side down, to center of pan. Add mushrooms to pan on top of sprouts. Drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with crushed pepper and salt to taste.
7. Lay fish over vegetables, skin side down, and sprinkle with salt, crushed pepper, sesame seeds, and a light drizzle of olive oil. Transfer skillet to oven and bake for 10 minutes, until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. (**Note: if you do not have an oven-safe skillet, transfer vegetables to another oven-safe dish and lay fish on top before baking.)
8. Add cucumbers to salad bowl and toss with onions and dressing; allow to marinate while fish bakes. Carefully lift fish from skillet and serve with rice and vegetables. During cooking, the veggies will create a very light pan sauce that can be used to dress the rice, if desired.